Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Paralee on top of Katahdin, Maine along the Appalachian Trail

In 2008 I had the pleasure of completing the hike up to Katahdin, Maine. This final climb will complete a thru-hikers journey of the Appalachian Trail. I am still trying to complete my dream of hiking all the miles along this long Trail. I have excepted the fact that I am a section-hiker now instead of a thru-hiker.
I had a dream of completing the Appalachian Trail in 2002 and was able to hike continuously from Spring Mountain, Georgia to Unionville, New York before I decided my health was taking a toll on me and it was time to go home. At that time I became a section-hiker.
I learned a valuable lesson that day.
I began to believe in myself.
It's only me I have to satisfy!
You can never dream to big or set your sights too high!
If they say I can't or I am not strong enough, or no one has ever done it before,
I always say...JUST WATCH ME

I am still hiking at the age of 65 and am always looking of ways to share my love of the Trail. I have started a program called Wilderness Adventures and am attempting to reach as many children in western North Carolina and teach them the beauty and strength of getting back to nature can instill in them.

Don't ever give up. There are no limits but the sky. Continue to dream and you will succeed.
My favorite saying is "Don't dream your life, live your dreams" My book Still Living a Dream is a good example. I had a dream, I dared to follow it, I persevered, and I succeeded.

Happy Hiking, AT Hiker Girl
Paralee Dawson Hayward

No comments:

Post a Comment